Reporting to the Manager and Director, Legal Services for the CGI Canada Legal Affairs group, and based out of CGI’s GTA or Ottawa offices, the Contracts Specialist will be responsible for a wide variety of contracting activities across CGI’s varied lines of business including Technology and Infrastructure, Consulting Services, Banking and Insurance Business Solutions, Credit Union and Public Sector IT Services.
In this role, the Contracts Specialist will be responsible for providing support to both the GC, Legal Affairs and the Canadian Legal Affairs team.
Your future duties and responsibilities:
Support CGI General Counsel and Legal Counsel:
• Act as a point of contact for CGI Business' questions on contracts and legal issues; obtain background info, respond and escalate to Legal Counsel as required.
• Determine specific approaches to problem resolution in consultation with Legal Counsel; convey options to CGI Business Leads.
• Provide negotiations strategy support to Legal Counsel, and advice to CGI Business Leads.
• Liaison with internal subject matter experts and members of our international Legal team.
Contract Review and Support:
• Provide local matter support including conducting quality checks, proofreading, editing and reviewing draft contracts and presentation materials.
• Review, edit, negotiate, provide alternate wording and advice on contract amendments, teaming agreements, Statements of Work, non-disclosure agreements and other agreement documents as required in line with CGI’s acceptable risk profiles.
• Advise on subcontracting arrangements and be able to identify and assess relevant contractual ‘flow down’ terms based on master agreements (escalating issues and provide reports to Legal counsel and/or CGI Legal leads, as required).
• Uploading contracts, precedents and legal documentation to Legal databases and document management systems in accordance with current records retention policies.
Review RFX Bids:
• Review terms in RFx's and in CGI bid response documents to determine whether CGI responses are in line with CGI's legal framework and risk tolerance profiles.
• Review and provide wording for proposals and contract responses.
• Flag legal risks for escalation and approval.
• Advise CGI Business on the use of appropriate contract terms including client and vendor ‘flow-through’ terms.
Required qualifications to be successful in this role:
• An undergraduate degree or diploma/certification from an accredited professional learning institution, with a working knowledge of commercial contracting, legal, and business principles (e.g. legal risk mitigation, drafting, as well as profit and loss implications of contracts); paralegal training, law-clerk training or other legal work experience is a requirement.
• Ability to juggle multiple priorities, anticipate issues, perform under pressure, and work in a fast-paced environment.
• Practical, efficient and responsive; excellent communication and organization skills.
• Superior analytical and problem-solving skills including interpreting complex concepts and evaluating internal risks.
• Exceptional MS Office skills including MS Word and MS Excel.
• Willingness to support after hours and flexible to switch tasks and communicate changing priorities.
• Flexibility to work independently as well as within a team.
• Fluency in written and spoken English (bilingual/written French is an asset).
What you can expect from us:
Insights you can act on
While technology is at the heart of our clients’ digital transformation, we understand that people are at the heart of business success.
When you join CGI, you become a trusted advisor, collaborating with colleagues and clients to bring forward actionable insights that deliver meaningful and sustainable outcomes. We call our employees "members" because they are CGI shareholders and owners and owners who enjoy working and growing together to build a company we are proud of. This has been our Dream since 1976, and it has brought us to where we are today — one of the world’s largest independent providers of IT and business consulting services.
At CGI, we recognize the richness that diversity brings. We strive to create a work culture where all belong and collaborate with clients in building more inclusive communities. As an equal-opportunity employer, we want to empower all our members to succeed and grow. If you require an accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, please let us know. We will be happy to assist.
Ready to become part of our success story? Join CGI — where your ideas and actions make a difference.