If you’re looking for a challenge that stretches your talents and you want to make a real difference in people’s lives, come and lead our work supporting the digital transformation of the UK. We are looking for a Lead Subcontract Commercial Manager to work with subcontractors to deliver projects to high profile clients, delivering improvements to complex engagements. We are looking for a Lead Subcontract Commercial Manager to take responsibility for subcontract management issues across a portfolio of contracts, including negotiation of subcontracts during bid stages and post contract management of those subcontractors, within two of CGI’s business units. Managing a team of commercial professionals, you would work closely with the business leads and their teams.
CGI was voted a ‘Best Workplace’ by Great Place To Work in 2021, and offers a competitive salary, excellent pension, private healthcare, plus a share scheme (3% + 3% matching) which makes you a member not just an employee. We are committed to inclusivity, building a genuinely diverse community of tech talent and inspiring more women to pursue careers in our sector. We won ‘Best Tech Employer’ at the 2022 Women in Tech Employer Awards.
We are happy to discuss remote or hybrid working.
At CGI you’ll be part of an open, friendly community of experts. We’ll train and support you in taking your career wherever you want it to go.
Your future duties and responsibilities:
In the role you will need to:
• Attend and make a valued contribution at senior level management meetings;
• Understand and influence the commercial aspects of subcontractor proposals and bids and be the trusted adviser to the sector leads;
• Review and agree proposals to mitigate commercial risk in subcontracts and identify any further mitigations which may be appropriate;
• Provide guidance to your team members regarding negotiation strategy in their own negotiations;
• Agree direction in our approach to subcontractors to ensure that the appropriate flow down / risk mitigation/compliance matrix is in place;
• Have an ability and willingness to challenge unacceptable risk relating to subcontracts with the senior leaders in the sector and represent the view at UK level;
• Have an ability to manage conflicting priorities and calls upon your time, particularly in the review and approval of review packs and legal documentation; and
• As well as having full ownership of subcontract related matters and bids/proposals, be a senior practioner providing advice and guidance and provide input into strategy.
• Build effective relationships within the business unit and UK leaders;
• Manage relationships, being proactive and engaging effectively. Hold regular meetings with the senior managers in the business to discuss business priorities;
• Lead the proactive avoidance and resolution of issues and disputes escalated to them by members of their team or the subcontractors;
• Assist members of the business to shape solutions for the commercial aspects of offerings, over and above solely the terms and conditions;
• Manage the team members who report to you on a daily basis including resource allocation. Develop and mentor these staff including performance review and career planning;
• Drive a proactive review of subcontract performance and compliance in longer engagements and deliver value to CGI and the client through suggesting alternative approaches.
• Propose continuous improvement of the commercial subcontract processes and practices, and proactive sharing of best commercial practice amongst the wider community, encouraging team members to participate in continuous improvement and innovation; and
• Ensure commercial awareness of client or subcontractor facing staff with whom they interface through guidance and focused training.
Required qualifications to be successful in this role:
The ideal person for this role will have several years' experience in an equivalent industry with a track record of having managed a variety of different subcontracts. An understanding of managing third parties in pre-sales and bids is essential.
Ideally you will have a Degree Level Education (Preferably in Legal/Business/Finance related discipline) and it would be highly desirable if you have a relevant professional membership such as CIPS. A thorough understanding of contract law is essential.
You must have a professional approach to everything you do, and must be confident and capable of challenging situations with clients and subcontractors. You will ideally be direct but diplomatic with the ability to say “no” without causing offence. You must be calm under pressure, and a team player with good negotiating skills. You must be resilient and able to manage pressurised situations and multiple bits of work at different stages.
What you can expect from us:
Insights you can act on
While technology is at the heart of our clients’ digital transformation, we understand that people are at the heart of business success.
When you join CGI, you become a trusted advisor, collaborating with colleagues and clients to bring forward actionable insights that deliver meaningful and sustainable outcomes. We call our employees “members” because they are CGI shareholders and owners, and, as owners, we enjoy working and growing together to build a company we are proud of. This has been our Dream since 1976, and it has brought us to where we are today—one of the world’s largest independent providers of IT and business consulting services.
At CGI, we recognize the richness that diversity brings. We strive to create a work culture where everyone belongs, and we collaborate with clients in building more inclusive communities. As an equal opportunity employer, we empower all our members to succeed and grow. If you require an accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, please let us know. We will be happy to assist.
Ready to become part of our success story? Join CGI—where your ideas and actions make a difference.