Meet our professionals
CGI UK Careers – Be Part of Our Story
Infrastructure Engineer / Linux Sys Admin / Linux Engineer
Location: Reading, Corsham, London & Gloucester
If it takes seriously complex IT systems to keep your organisational skills challenged, and you’ve never encountered a network you didn’t want to improve, there’s a digital revolution brewing in the UK that could use
From public service transformation to cutting-edge commercial projects, our work has a wide reach, helping make the everyday easier, for everyone. When you start your CGI story, not only will you be improving people’s
lives, you can be sure we’ll do the same for you.
And the even better news? Our friendly team will keep you inspired and will support you to do what you do best, better.
What you can expect from us
Business is transforming fast. And at CGI, you’ll be at the centre of a digital revolution. As one of the largest independent technology and business services companies in the world, we can deliver exciting opportunities
for you to build your career.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer you our share scheme (3% + 3% matching) making you a member not just an employee. You also have the option to benefit from private medical and dental insurance, flexible
retirement options, childcare vouchers and a cycle to work scheme.
We’re expanding our team of Open Source Software Engineers, at all levels of career experience and would consider graduates with a science related degree (including practical computer programming experience) through to skilled software integration and DevOps professionals.
If you have a solid Linux foundation and an enthusiasm for technology, we’d love you to join us. We develop, build, and run a cutting edge Big Data platform for a meaningful and strategic client. We’re heavy on automation, have great software engineering hardware, a mix of physical and virtual platforms and take on steep learning curves. We’re delivering to our customer faster than they’ve experienced before. We’re motivated to improve the state of the art, for our customer, and for other engineers or consumers working on similar systems.
The team’s focus is a shared ownership and drive to achieve the customer’s goals. We aim for everyone to be involved in software integration, testing, deployment and operations. We all have direct contact with our customer on a daily basis. The team can ask questions directly to ensure they build what is really needed. Each of us takes ownership of a customer ‘story’ from beginning to end. If you are interested in technology integration (as opposed to developing from the ground up), rapid prototyping, regular demonstration of completed work, creating sustainable systems, and thinking ahead but not overcomplicating for today, this will suit you. Being a part of a team which is jointly responsible for designing, integrating, building, testing, maintenance and on-going operations of the production platform.
Specifically you would be involved tasks such as the following
• GNU/Linux software customisation, configuration and integration
• Hadoop customisation and API integration and its configuration with Ansible and Ambari
• Implementation of bespoke NiFi processors using Java and integration with commercial security software
• Ansible deployment automation of software, upgrades and Linux configuration
• Robot Framework and Selenium based test automation for post-build and post-deploy health checks
• Bug and technical debt triage, trouble shooting and resolution
• Production environment change back-porting to our Git repository
• Enhancement of our Bamboo based build and continuous integration processes
• System performance analysis and improvement of multiple, high spec large clusters
• Third line support of production environments with our system administrators
All successful applicants must hold, or be eligible & willing to obtain, UK SC clearance with the view to progressing to higher level clearance if required.
Your future duties and responsibilities:
• Review, elaboration and accurate estimation of new requirements with our Product Owner
• Estimation and commitment, as a team, to deliver tested work every 2 weeks
• Development of work following strict ways of working, standards and levels of quality
• Regular presentation of progress and completed work to the team and the customer
• Stay up to date by following industry developments and be active in the Open Source community
• A drive to meet your personal objectives which are aligned to the business plan for the financial year
• Investment in your own skills development with support from the team and wider organisation
Required qualifications to be successful in this role:
Required qualifications to be successful in this role
• Demonstrable experience in at least one of: RHEL, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu
• Familiarity with the following core tools: git, ssh, Unix command line, browsers, Bash
• Linux experience as a deployment platform and day to day development environment – e.g., can describe package management, networking configuration, log files, environment variables
• Deep Linux experience – e.g., can describe SELinux, chroot, ssh tunnelling, differences between Linux distributions
• Experience of starting from scratch, and building on top of existing systems
• Web development and awareness of vulnerabilities and how to defend against them
• Experience of test driven development and Automated testing of web applications
• Networking familiarity – e.g., can describe HTTP protocol, TCP/IP
• Experience of Hadoop or distributed computation
• Experience of automating software deployment
• Experience of network engineering including switches, taps and firewalls and pcap analysis
• Awareness of system and network security principles such as system hardening, log analysis or IDS/IPS
Our projects are based in a CGI office or client site but may require travel to other locations.
The successful candidate must be able to spend time working away from home, if required. All successful applicants must hold, or be eligible & willing to obtain, UK SC clearance with the view to progressing to higher level clearance if required.
What you can expect from us:
Build your career with us.
It is an extraordinary time to be in business. As digital transformation continues to accelerate, CGI is at the center of this change—supporting our clients’ digital journeys and offering our professionals exciting career opportunities.
At CGI, our success comes from the talent and commitment of our professionals. As one team, we share the challenges and rewards that come from growing our company, which reinforces our culture of ownership. All of our professionals benefit from the value we collectively create.
Be part of building one of the largest independent technology and business services firms in the world.
Learn more about CGI at www.cgi.com.
No unsolicited agency referrals please.
CGI is an equal opportunity employer.